My Choice Medical is here for all women throughout Los Angeles, CA in need to not only assist in your pregnancy needs but also to consult you or your loved one on your best and all options available. Doing things right, being aware of all your options, making an educated decision and feeling comfortable with the team assisting you are all important things when evaluating your choice, we know this well and that’s why we are the smart choice. Call My Choice Medical to discuss your next steps at (866) 397-3070.
A majority of pregnancies in the US are unplanned. According to the 2013 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention abortion surveillance report there are 200 abortions per 1000 live births. Women in their twenties conduct a majority of abortions with most of them procured during early gestation. In-clinic abortion and the abortion pill are the two common ways of terminating a pregnancy in the US.
Is abortion the right option for me?
Unplanned pregnancies are quite common, and a majority of women in America have an unplanned pregnancy at some point in their life. This is a personal decision you have to make if you get pregnant by accident. However, with the right information and proper support, you can make the best decision depending on your circumstances.
Why would you undertake an abortion?
Millions of women are faced with unplanned pregnancies each year. Statistics indicate that 4 out of 10 of these women undertake abortions. The decision to procure an abortion is quite personal, and women have varied reasons for seeking abortion services. Contraception failure, and inability to support a child are some of the most common reasons for pregnancy termination.
Medical Abortion / “Abortion Pill”
This is a safe non-surgical procedure available for women up to 10 weeks of pregnancy. It is also referred to as a ... abortion, and in most cases, it is undertaken using Mifeprex and Misoprostol. Mifeprex is taken first; usually in the abortion clinic and blocks the action of progesterone which is vital in the continuation of the pregnancy. Misoprostol is then taken 12-48hrs after Milfeprex. This medication softens and opens the cervix so that the terminated pregnancy can pass through.
How effective is the abortion pill?
Medical abortions are considered 93% to 99% effective. However, the rate of effectiveness will depend on the treatment regimen as well as the length of pregnancy. Though most are successful, if the abortion is incomplete a surgical D&C procedure is undertaken.
What are the benefits of medical abortion?
Though this option is only viable during early pregnancy, most women opt for it to avoid surgery. A medical abortion is less invasive, and many women feel in control of the procedure because they can have their abortion experience at home. Using an abortion pill is also more natural because it produces a miscarriage like experience.
What can you expect in a medical abortion?
Medical abortion like all other abortion procedures starts with a counseling session. This ensures that you are clear on what to expect in your abortion. Though women have different experiences, most women will experience bleeding and cramping within 2-7 hours of taking Misoprostol that will reduce within 24 hours.
You are counseled on how to manage the bleeding, and you also receive pain medication to ease the cramping and discomfort. Some women may, however, experience diarrhea, nausea, fever, and vomiting. You are recommended to have a friend, family member or partner throughout the process.
Procedures used in surgical abortion will depend mostly on the length of your pregnancy and personal circumstances. Surgical abortion is quite effective in pregnancy termination and employs common and safe medical procedures.
What are the benefits of surgical abortion?
Most women will choose surgical abortion over other methods because they may be further in their pregnancy and it is also quite effective. Once you have the surgical procedure, you don’t need to complete additional steps at home like in the use of an abortion pill. However, you are required to have a follow-up visit 2-3 weeks later.
What abortion options do you have in your first trimester?
In your first trimester, you have the option of either undertaking a medical or surgical abortion. However, you can only have a medical abortion within the first ten weeks of gestation. Your pregnancy termination options include:
- Mifepristone and Misoprostol: This is the most common abortion pill method used in the US. You can use this procedure within the first seven to ten weeks of pregnancy. Most women commonly refer to it as “the abortion pill”, Mifeprex and RU – 486.
- Methotrexate & Misoprostol (MTX): This is a medical abortion method you can use up to the first seven weeks of pregnancy. However, with the availability of mifepristone, it is not commonly used in the US.
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA): This is surgical pregnancy termination procedure you can have done in an abortion clinic within 3-12 weeks since your last period. It is one of the less invasive methods done under local anesthesia.
- Aspiration: This is a surgical abortion procedure used for pregnancy termination for a pregnancy that is up to 16 weeks from your last period. It is also commonly referred to as dilation and curettage (D &C), suction curettage or vacuum aspiration.
What are the abortion methods available during your second trimester?
You cannot use the abortion pill while in your second trimester. The following surgical methods are available to you:
- Dilation & Curettage (D&C): This is a surgical pregnancy termination procedure used to terminate a pregnancy that is up to 16 weeks old. Other terms used for this procedure are vacuum aspiration and suction curettage.
- Dilation & Evacuation (D&E): This is a surgical procedure performed after a gestation period of 16 weeks.
- Induction Abortion: Though rarely performed this is a procedure where a saline solution is injected in the amniotic sac.
What are the abortion methods available during your third trimester?
Some states prohibit abortion in the third trimester, except when your health is at risk. Pregnancy termination in the third trimester depends on the laws of your state. In the third trimester, you can use:
- Induction Abortion: This method is mostly done 25 weeks since the first day of a woman’s last period. At this time, the baby is almost fully developed and is considered viable. It is first killed by using a substance that causes cardiac arrest, and the mother is induced to deliver the stillborn.
- Dilation and Extraction: This is one of the methods used in the third trimester. It involves a combination of vacuum aspiration, dilation and curettage (D&C) and use of surgical instruments.
My choice Medical Center provides professional abortion services to women in California. We offer pregnancy termination services in the first second and third trimesters to women in need. You can count on our professional medical team to offer the best service depending on your condition. We are located at 7232 Van Nuys Blvd. CA 91405, and to book an appointment you can reach us at (866) 397-3070.